Bleeding and Believing

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Bad luck can hit you anytime.

Scratch that.

Bad luck can hit you ALL THE TIME.

This morning I woke up because I have 5 missed calls. 5 missed calls from only one person. Then it all came to me that last night I placed my phone under my pillow while it was still in vibrating mode. When the calls were made this morning, my phone started vibrating like crazy, which at the start actually feels like getting a massage. But getting to much vibration from 5 calls is like having your head placed in an ultrasonic bath. And when you check your brain, it feels like it has been pureed by an osterizer.

See, you don't have to be scared that I might gobsmack you if you wake me in the morning, especially if it's an emergency. But not answering twice or even thrice would give you a hint that I am absolutely asleep. At least now you know how to wake me up, make me feel like you're in an emergency, and then give me a total "good morning" headache.

Am I making sense here?

Anyway, I answered the 6th call for courtesy, and found that it was my friend asking me to go somewhere early in the morning because she needed company. I said I can't go because I am having a headache and I need to go out too to give a talk in a retreat. She said okay, and she was sorry to wake me up. Well, it's kinda late for that.

I convinced myself to go the retreat even if it was still early for my scheduled talk. I got up and started making phone calls how to get to the venue if I will just commute.

The route isn't really complicated, just two tricycles and one jeepney ride. I just have to look for the landmark my friend told me. Blimey, I thought.

I got to the trike area and I waited for more than 15 minutes for people to fill up the whole trike. Beside me was a a guy, probably aged 25 or so, carrying loads of bread and vegtables, which pretty much filled up the whole space leaving me with zero leg area.

After the bumpy trike ride, I went to ride the next trike, which took another 10 minutes to fill up. This time, a female sat beside me. She was sort of slouching and sitting diagonally taking up a lot of space (I can't really describe her position, just think of her occupying a bigger area of the seat we were supposed to share). I was annoyed but I just let it pass. I didn't let it ruin my day.

I reached Sucat road and started to inhale all the pollution and smoke and all that jazz. I wasn't sure which jeep to ride, I just got on to this one that would pass by the airport. I kept a watchful eye for the landmark, a Burger Machine stall, wishing that there aren't too many Burger Machines along the road.

Finally, I reached the venue, all sweaty and haggard. Good thing I was early for my talk so i had the time to freshen up and relax at the dining area. Then all of a sudden it hits me. I will be leaving for Davao early in the morning tomorrow and I still haven't got my poster printed. I said to myself I will have it printed after my talk. I even asked my friend Sy to come with me to Southmall because I know Microcadd has a branch there. Or so I think they do.

After the talk, I told Sy I will just go home to get the file from my computer. Since I don't have a USB flash drive and an extra CDR, I planned to just save it in my mp3 player. I got home and did the finishing touches on my poster. I checked the directory to look up for Microcadd's Southmall branch's number, but it appears that there is no such thing. No Southmall branch. I checked the time, it was around 1 pm.

I decided to just go to SM Manila where I am sure there is a Microcadd branch. All of a sudden, Dad had this idea that there is at least one poster printer in Festivall Mall. He said it's nearer to Paranaque, so I don't have to go very far just to get my poster printed.

We went strolling around Festi to look for the poster printer he suggested, but there isn't any. Then I said we should check out ATC since we are already in the area. But then parking is a real trouble there, plus it's a Sunday. All the parking spaces were full. Dad can't just go round and round till I am finished with the printing. So I told him I know this place in BF where I could have the poster printed but I am just not sure if they are open on Sundays.

And no, they're not. So we went home like losers at around 5 pm.

I had no choice but to go to SM Manila. Dad offered to drive me there but I said I could just take the LRT. After an hour, I arrived at SM Manila, and I went staight to Microcadd. I figured I still have a couple of hours to go back to the retreat to attend the closing ceremonies.

The Microcadd guy was kind enough to attend to me right away. He plugged in my mp3 player, but it is not responding.

Microcadd guy: Ma'am di po gumagana USB nyo.
Me: (Looked at the screen) Gumagana yan, nagcha-charge yung battery eh.
Microcadd guy: Hindi po talaga, ayaw ma-read.
Me: (Kinda annoyed) Patingin...

Suddenly I felt like breaking down. He's right. My mp3 player wasn't responding. It won't restart. Nag-hang, as what they say.

I had no choice but to wait for the battery to be drained. Trouble is, that would take a whole day because I charged it full last night. I only have 3 hours left before the mall closes down.

I phoned up my mom, asking her to come to SM Manila and bring a copy of the file. I asked my sister to buy a blank CD and burn the file. Good thing dad didn't drive me to SM, because he would kill me if I tell him that we need to go back to Paranaque, get the file, and then head back to SM.

I waited for more than an hour. I was starting to get worried. I still want to go back to the retreat, I haven't packed my bags yet, and my poster was not yet printed. I went to the Department Store to kill time, and I bought some toiletries I will bring with me to Davao.

Finally, Dad texts me. It was him who brought my file. We met at the top floor and I rushed to Microcadd, which was full of people that time. It took around another hour before my poster got printed and believe me, seeing that poster come out of the printer is the most wonderful feeling I've had for weeks.

I mean, after all the poster preparations, the abstracts, the write-ups and the exams all due at the same time, this is it. This is finally it. I have the poster in my hands. Gosh, I want to throw a party right now. Except I can't do that yet because I still have a take home Environmetal Chemistry exam due on Tuesday.

Right now, I'm waiting for Emar to arrive. She will stay here for the night and we'll go to the airport together (since I live near the airport) later at 4 am. I started packing up, but I thought I'll blog first then do it later.

Imagine all the trouble I had to go through just to go to Davao... gosh, it's about to end. I can imagine the durians. The pomelos. The Philippine eagle.

Davao is waiting for me!

posted by Dorxie at 10:40 PM   [ 0 comments ]

v5.7 Copyright (c) 2005, Dorx Crooc All Rights Reserved.

+ For the Greater Glory of God! +




Make it an escape.
Make it an experience.
Make it a daily necessity.
Make it an occasional treat.
Make it a happy place.
Make it a fortress of solitude.
Make it bouncy.
Make it what you want it to be.

Make it your Journal.
Go ahead and blog away.





Subscribe!
Feed yourself. Subscribe!

Check me out at Friendster!
Check me out at Friendster!

amazing since birth.
amazing since birth.

Go forth and Multiply.


Let's have a lil chit chat.

Send me an e-mail!
Send me an e-mail!

Twitter Logo

    Follow me on Twitter.

    My Disclosure Policy
    My Disclosure Policy









    This site is a member of WebRing. To browse click here.

    PinoyTopBlogs.com Webring
    Join | Ring Hub | Random | Prev | Next

    Blogarama - The Blog Directory

    Blogko.net Topsites

    Add to Technorati Favorites




    www.hitscount.com