Bleeding and Believing

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

It was a blast and I was stunned

Last night was a blast. Literally.

I went with Peter, Leah and five other youth members of the Parish to see the opening cermenonies of the World Pyro Olympics (WPO) held at the reclamation area where the huge SM Mall of Asia is being constructed. It was damn good and I only have one word to say: amazingstunningsupercalifragilisticexpialidociusshetanggandaputangina-parangwalanangbukassaganda.

We went there at around 6:00 pm, thinking that it won't take long to get there since we're just near the venue. As we turn to EDSA in Pasay, the whole road was jammed with buses, cars, and jeepneys. Peter said, "Looks like all roads lead to Diosdado Macapagal Ave. ha." Can't be, I thought.

First, the event was not widely advertised, at least in my opinion. I don't think I saw it in TV. Peter just read about it in a news paper. It was advertised in a short article he said. I'm just not sure if this is the first WPO because I have never heard of it before. But for 2005, the Philippines is the host of the event, hence it's being held here.

On with our adventure. Crossing Taft Ave, traffic became moderate. We were still hoping not a lot of people are going there until we reached the reclamation area right across Roxas Blvd. We probably didn't move an inch for at least 10 minutes.


Some cars started parking on both sides of EDSA Ext. We thought of just parking there too but the venue is still too far. We haven't passed by Blue Wave yet. It's going to be one marathon to get there. So Peter drove some more until we reached the Mall of Asia. Thing is, the guards won't let us park there; they're telling us to go park at the Shrine of Jesus the Truth, the Way, and the Life. That's hell far.

We are law-abiding citizens, but a lot of cars started parking along the whole stretch of the SM Offices already. Guards won't let us do that but can they stop the 500 + cars? Guess not. So we double-parked and soon at least 50 cars followed us. Harhar.

We started walking until we reached the entrance of the WPO venue.


We needed a ticket to get in, 100 pesos they said. A lot of people settled outside, so we did too because it's free. But the Mall of Asia is partly blocking the view, and we were quite far.

The event soon started. China was the first to display their work.


You know Chinese, they're firework-ish.


I was expecting more from China, but their entry didn't really impress me much. Although at first I thought it was already good... until I watched the next country, Australia.

We wanted a closer view. During the break Peter decided to go through the talahib in front of us and see where it gets us. We followed him and soon 20 - 25 people followed us. Since it is a construction site, there were a lot of rocks, sand, and mud. I stepped into one puddle of mud and it ate my feet like quicksand. I was pissed.

We reached the other road but suddenly two guards stopped us. They said we can't go walking anymore because it's not allowed to go there. I was even more pissed. Don't tell me I have to walk through mud again.

Good thing a lot of people followed us. They won't turn back, so we told the guards to let them go back before we follow. In the middle of the pagtataboy Peter shouted, "Mabuhay ang mga guards!" and the people behind us shouted back, "Mabuhay!" We laughed our heads off. It was hilarious! And the guards just couldn't do anything. After much talk, they allowed us to pass through.

We then reached an area where the people paid the entrance fee. I figured that was the reason why the guards won't let us pass. Avy and I felt like we needed to pee but the lines for girls were so long so I told Avy to look at the gents' portalets if it has the same toilet bowl and all because no one was lining up there. Avy said yes. So we lined up along the guys' line and there was a Mom who asked us, "Why are you lining up there?" Then I told her, "It's just the same thing. Besides, no one's using it." She then went to my line with her kids. Hah.

We placed our mat a few meters behind the sea wall. Fireworks were being fired from a ship on the sea so we were in the perfect site. The national anthem of Australia was played and we stood up as sign of respect. I can't wait to see their entry. Soon the sky was colored blue, red, green, and yellow. The fireworks were so close to us (directly overhead us) and it felt like the debris would fall on our heads. With all the sparkles and star-like twinkling thingies, I knew what it was like to be the words in the Star Wars movies that fly through the starry sky. I knew what it felt like to be flying through space.

I felt surrounded by chandeliers and stars. All twinkling and sparkling. Haaaay... it was some view.


I didn't have the chance to take lots of pics because I was busy taking videos with my fone. Yep, I placed some videos here and you can download them.

China 1 (882 kb, 1 min 42 s)
China 2 (506 kb, 58 s)
China 3 (1149 kb, 2 min 14 s)
China 4 (274 kb, 36 s, this was the ending and it was so beautiful)
Australia 1 (1085 kb, 2 min 35 s, this was the start of their entry so my hands were shaking from excitement and we were all magulo)
Australia 2 (2779 kb, 8 min 2 s, this was the last 8 to 10 minutes of their entry. The last part was stunning.)

I think the files open using Nokia Media Player and Real Player. The extension name is .3gp and I'm not sure what other players can recognize this type of file. If you get to open it, just beware of our comments "Ang ganda!", "Grabehh!", "Wow!", "Nangangawit na leeg ko!" and my pamatay na comment "Magkaka-kulani na ako sa kili-kili."

The WPO runs till December 30, 2005. Everyday two countries will be presenting. Here's the sched:

Dec 26 - China and Australia
Dec 27 - Germany and South Korea
Dec 28 - Russia and UK
Dec 29 - USA and South Africa
Dec 30 - UAE and Philippines plus a Fellowship of Fire by all participating countries.

Events start at 7 pm onwards. We will be there again tonight and tomorrow night because I want to watch Russia and UK. I want to go on the 29th and the 30th too but Leah and Peter will attend a Vicariate-wide activity. Waaaah! I wanna watch my country and the fellowship thingie! I'm sure it will be exciting!

I have to run now. I still have lab work to do. It will be a long, blasting day for me. =)

posted by Dorxie at 10:36 AM   [ 0 comments ]

v5.7 Copyright (c) 2005, Dorx Crooc All Rights Reserved.

+ For the Greater Glory of God! +




Make it an escape.
Make it an experience.
Make it a daily necessity.
Make it an occasional treat.
Make it a happy place.
Make it a fortress of solitude.
Make it bouncy.
Make it what you want it to be.

Make it your Journal.
Go ahead and blog away.





Subscribe!
Feed yourself. Subscribe!

Check me out at Friendster!
Check me out at Friendster!

amazing since birth.
amazing since birth.

Go forth and Multiply.


Let's have a lil chit chat.

Send me an e-mail!
Send me an e-mail!

Twitter Logo

    Follow me on Twitter.

    My Disclosure Policy
    My Disclosure Policy









    This site is a member of WebRing. To browse click here.

    PinoyTopBlogs.com Webring
    Join | Ring Hub | Random | Prev | Next

    Blogarama - The Blog Directory

    Blogko.net Topsites

    Add to Technorati Favorites




    www.hitscount.com