Bleeding and Believing

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Oh no! Not another slasher!

I dunno why I often witness a bag/pocket slashing event in a jeepney. Maybe it's because I observe too much. Maybe it's because I mind other people's businesses. In short, I'm pakeelamera.

I think it all started when my own pocket was slashed for the very first time. I was in 2nd year college. It was raining hard and it was already late.

Thing with me is that I don't normally ride jeepneys that can only accommodate one or two more passengers because these are seats that only Mahal or Mini Me can fit. My philosophy is, "Why pay for a whole fee when only half of my ass is on the seat and I'm better off hanging by the estribo?"

Anyway, because I had no choice and the rain was pouring down so hard, I was forced to ride this jam packed jeepney. Then I noticed this guy to my right with a big bag moving suspiciously. When I turned right he quickly pulled his arm like he was hiding something.

The guy moved to his right and turned to look at my pocket. I touched my pocket and realized that it had been slashed. The slasher looked at my pocket; maybe he wanted to see how good (or bad) he did with the slashing thingie.

The slasher was not able to get my phone because he didn't make the right incisio--yeah, I know, I'm stupid because I left my phone in my pocke--but he did lacerate my uniform and that rendered it worthless.

Ever since this happened to me, I became more attentive to my co-passengers when in a jeep. I often look around, identify the people with possible slasher looks, and watch his every move. Because of this keen observation, I have seen several pockets being hacked and bags being cut.

The sad part is I can't do anything. I can't shout at the victim and tell him/her that a pickpocket is beside him. I can't shout at the slasher and tell him to back off. It's just so hard to do. So hard and scary.

Last night after my exam in Dear Professor's subject, I decided to ride a jeep from Dapitan to the shuttle station rather than take the usual FX in Espana. The jeep became loaded when we reached Quiapo and there were 3 yuppies who sat beside me.

Suddenly this suspicious looking guy came and sat across me. I say suspicious because he was looking around at people and their belongings. He looked at my bag and I was pretty sure he was thinking if he could easily slash it. Thing is, I was sitting pretty close to the yuppie next to me, so there was no space for the slasher to sit beside me.

Upon reaching Jones' Bridge, I saw the slasher pulled something from his bag. I was afraid that it was a knife, and then he will shout, "Hold up ito!" I was not sure what the thing he pulled was, I even thought it was just a coin, but I'm sure it was something small.

When we reached Lawton, the yuppies beside me got off the jeep and the slasher moved closer to this girl next to him and started slashing her bag! And I saw it happened right in front of my eyes! And for the Nth time I didn't know what to do. =(

I suddenly shouted "Ma! Para po!" when we reached the island before the road goes under Lagusnilad. I transferred to another jeep but I was still looking at the slasher in the other jeep. I saw the girl (victim) noticed her bag was slashed, and then suddenly the jeep was out of sight.

The new jeep where I was in had to wait for passengers before it hits the road. I passed my coins to the driver and as I turned my head, I saw the slasher boarding the jeep where I was in, and I'm pretty sure was unsuccessful with his first victim so he was looking for another one. I quickly moved towards the driver and told him, "Manong, kunin ko ulit yung 7.50" He said, "Bababa ka ba?" Then I replied, "Opo, may nakalimutan ako."

I knew the slasher was looking at me when I got off the jeep. I waited for the jeep to leave, but at the same time I was thinking of what to do in case the slasher gets off again and rides another jeep.

The jeep soon trotted. I boarded a new jeep but I can feel my heart still beating fast. I got home safely and told the story to everyone at home. I even texted some friends and I told them it was really unbelievable.

I'm just so thankful that nothing bad happened to me. I believe it really isn't safe anywhere in Manila and slashers can hit you anytime. I guess we just have to pray hard that the Lord keeps us safe all the time.

And so I would like to thank Kuya Jess. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I truly believe in you. Please keep me, my family, and my friends safe from harm all the time. Thank you from the bottom of my hypothalamus. =)

posted by Dorxie at 3:56 AM   [ 0 comments ]

v5.7 Copyright (c) 2005, Dorx Crooc All Rights Reserved.

+ For the Greater Glory of God! +




Make it an escape.
Make it an experience.
Make it a daily necessity.
Make it an occasional treat.
Make it a happy place.
Make it a fortress of solitude.
Make it bouncy.
Make it what you want it to be.

Make it your Journal.
Go ahead and blog away.





Subscribe!
Feed yourself. Subscribe!

Check me out at Friendster!
Check me out at Friendster!

amazing since birth.
amazing since birth.

Go forth and Multiply.


Let's have a lil chit chat.

Send me an e-mail!
Send me an e-mail!

Twitter Logo

    Follow me on Twitter.

    My Disclosure Policy
    My Disclosure Policy









    This site is a member of WebRing. To browse click here.

    PinoyTopBlogs.com Webring
    Join | Ring Hub | Random | Prev | Next

    Blogarama - The Blog Directory

    Blogko.net Topsites

    Add to Technorati Favorites




    www.hitscount.com